How We Work
HACBED uplifts community voice and supports collective action through our approach to community-based economic development. We play the role of facilitator, catalyst, community builder and broker as asked by the communities we serve. Holding this space, we also act as a producer of training, technical assistance, advocacy, education, as well as research & development (R&D) related products and services. HACBED has developed a body of information, experience, and expertise to support the field of community-based economic development and asset building in Hawai`i by:
- Providing organizational capacity development support to grassroots organizations involved in CBED and asset building across the state and elsewhere.
- Supporting community-based organizations through training, workshops, coaching, technical assistance, and other support services.
- Implementing field building strategies to improve the environment in which community-based organizations must operate in Hawai`i.
- Sitting, talking story, and listening to capture, synthesize, reflect, and sometimes translate the vision and ideas of community members.
Our focus and scope of work is in the following areas:
- Community & Organizational Capacity Building – organizational assessments (diagnostics), strategic thinking and planning, community economic development training and technical assistance, and executive coaching to assist communities and non-profit organizations in building the capacity needed to plan, implement, and sustain community-based economic development and other asset building ventures.
- Community Based Planning – community-based planning for sustainable community-based economic development and asset building, including the designing and facilitating of community engagement and participation processes, building coalitions and networks, and developing community-based institutions.
- Family & Community Asset Building For Self-Sufficiency – developing policies and community practices around strategies that help individuals, families, and communities to build wealth/assets. These assets will then help them to become self sufficient and develop increased opportunities that will allow them to exercise choice and control over their futures.
For more information on our primary activities, take a look at the links below.